IELTS Reading test needs the most detailed information as per majority of students’ opinion.
Let’s learn about the key details of IELTS Reading.
- There are 40 questions divided in 3 sections and you get 60 minutes to complete all of them.
- Unlike listening, no additional time is given to transfer the answer. So, you will write directly in the answer sheet as you proceed with the test.
- Read the answers carefully. Many of the students end up less bands just because they have done a lot of practice and consider that the instructions are usual and same in the test. This overconfidence can cost you a fortune. Beware!
- Be familiar with the different question types.
- Practice reading skills such as skimming. Skimming means looking over the paragraph or article and identify the key themes or general ideas. Pay attention to titles, keywords, subtitles, topic sentences, etc. Skimming gives you a drone view to the information.
- Scanning is another skill essential to develop. Scanning is looking for a specific information. If you know the specific information, you don’t need to read the article entirely. E.g., if you want to find the amount of money something costs, simply look for the currency sign/indicator and you will find the information swiftly. Scanning helps you swoop down to locate the specific detail you need.
- One more skill you can develop is intensive reading. In here, you understand the details in an article. When you practice reading text, don’t start reading intensively. It’s very common mistake. Firstly, skim the article, look at the title, headings or diagrams. Read the first sentence of each paragraph to determine the them of the paragraph. Make notes while doing it. Then, read for the specific purpose.
- Read the questions and be clear what you are looking for. Once you have skimmed and scanned, you are prepared to analyse the question carefully. Circling the keywords and finding the synonyms of the keyword. Do not expect that the same words will be served in the decorated dish to you. Then, use scanning and skimming to enter into the correct destination where the answer is located. Here, you will need to read in detail to find the specific answer to each question.
- To improve the reading skills, simply read anything and everything you can. The more the variety, the merrier.
- Inculcate the habit to read quickly.
It is to be remembered that there is no shortcut or techniques. You will only improve with practice and persistence.
Use these tips and surely you can achieve your desired bands in IELTS Reading.
For more information on IELTS, please refer to our other blog posts on Speaking, Listening & Writing.
If you have any specific queries, kindly share it at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please comment below to share your thoughts.